Saturday 14 September 2013

2013 Montreal Comiccon

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words.  Since there are more photos in this update than any I have done before, I think that we'll put that little saying to the test.  Earlier today, I went to the Montreal Comiccon, the place to be for all things 'geek'.  I say that with as much respect as possible, as I'm a bit of a geek myself.  There was everything you could want to see.  Wrestlers, movie stars, people dressed up as wrestlers and movie stars.  There were robots and superheros, zombies and Storm Troopers, and dozens of other characters that I couldn't identify if my life depended on it.  All of that, and more merchandise of all kinds than you could image to go along with boxes and boxes filled with comic books.  A real-life episode of The Big Bang Theory.  Trying to use my inner Photojournalist, I tried to grab a few photographs of everything, but it wasn't an easy task.  At times, we were herded together almost elbow-to-elbow, making it rather difficult to get a good shot.  Another problem was that as soon as someone would stop to pose, there would be a stampede of people rushing over to try and snap off a photo as well.  It was all well and good, though I need to get a little more work in when it comes to going up to people and asking to photograph them.  I tried telling myself that these people got dressed up and are expecting to have their picture taken, but I'm not quite at the point where I feel totally comfortable when it comes to invading the personal space of other people.  So, here is a selection of photographs I took during the day.  The first photograph is Spider-Man.  He was taken at f/3.5, 1/100sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm.  The second photograph you see are some guys dressed up as The Ghostbusters.  This photo was taken at f/5, 1/30sec, ISO 1600 at 28mm.

A Collection of Super Heros & Agents
f/2.8, 1/30sec. ISO 800 at 30mm
I was worried that shooting at f/2.8 would put some of the characters out of focus.

The Incredible Hulk
f/7.1, 1/13sec, ISO 1600 at 42mm
One of the most impressive costumes I saw

The Bounty Hunter, Boba Fett
f/5, 1/40sec, ISO 1600 at 38mm
You're no good to him if you're dead

The Dark Side of the Force
f/5, 1/25sec, ISO 1600 at 34mm
Didn't I just photograph these guys?

f/7.1, 1/15sec, ISO 1600 at 48mm
My friend Benoit Mercier at work for Les Mystérieux étonnants.

f/5, 1/20sec, ISO 1600 at 24mm
I failed Photojournalism 101 on this one, I didn't get their names

From The Watchmen, this is the Silk Spectre
f/5, 1/40sec, ISO 1600 at 24mm

With that, my Montreal Comiccon adventure comes to an end.  I got those photos and also went home with a print of  Movie Monsters Last Supper by Toronto artist Chris Roberts.  It was great way to spend a day.  Hope I get to do it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment