Tuesday 17 September 2013

A Real Spider, Man

The last blog post began with a picture of Spider-Man, so I guess a natural follow-up to that would be a picture of an actual spider, man.  While walking home from Comiccon, I passed by this monster and the web he had spun against a no-parking sign.  I admit, I have a serious dislike for spiders.  They freak me out, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in sharing that opinion.  In an attempt to try and grow closer to these eight-legged beasts, I've taken to photographing them.  This isn't the first spider to find it's way here, though I think this one is a bit better looking.  I must admit that the little pattern on his back pretty nice and I like how well the web stand out.  The background of the photograph is kind of busy.  Trees, a restaurant and a parked car, but shooting at a wide aperture does a nice job of blurring all of those things out.  Instead of taking your attention away from the spider, they now serve as background colour.  Well, that's what I'm hoping that I've done here.  This photograph was shot at f/3.2, 1/8000sec, ISO 3200 at 24mm.  Yep, I fell victim to the old "didn't reset the ISO" trick again.  I had been shooting at the high ISO to compensate for the lighting at Comiccon and shot this picture before I had the chance to get home and re-adjust my camera.  Didn't even check the ISO before I shot.  Luckily, the noise isn't that bad, and I would have had to shoot at a high ISO anyway since it was very overcast and getting late in the afternoon.  Thus ends Spider Appreciation Day.  I can appreciate a spider outside, but he'd still meet the wrong side of my Size 13 shoe if he were to find his way inside my place.

No comments:

Post a Comment