Friday 6 September 2013

Leaving Our Mark

Here's something you may have heard over the last couple of updates.  These photos were taken during my vacation.  For those of you who are brave enough to take a trip back in time to March, I posted a picture of my foot in the snow and then played around a little bit with it in Photoshop. While at a cottage in Lac Desert I stepped out of the water and was immediately reminded of that snow picture when, for some reason, I turned and noticed my footprint on a rock.  I thought it might be fun to make a 'summer' version of that snow photograph and see how it would turn out.  Oddly enough, it took more shots to find one I was happy with than I did back in March.  Of course, it was in the minus-teens when I took the March photo and in the mid-20's by the lake, meaning I didn't take much offense in putting my feet in the water.  For a little perspective, I managed to convince My Lovely Assistant to donate her foot to this little project as well.  My foot was shot at f/6.3, 1/200sec, ISO 640 at 57mm.  My Lovely Assistant's foot was shot at f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO 640 at 52mm.  Yes, that is a rather odd ISO setting.  I usually try not to shoot above ISO 400 for regular photos, but the sun suddenly decided to hide behind some clouds as we were getting out of the lake and I needed to be able to get a good shutter speed for shooting hand-held and I didn't want to use a wide aperture like f/2.8 to risk putting parts of the footprints out of focus.  ISO 640 gave me enough speed to not have to worry about going to get my tripod or to use my flash.  I kind of like these feet photos, they're unique and personal.  Just another cool idea for a vacation photo that not many people would think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment