Wednesday 25 September 2013

Even Bugs Get Thirsty

This photograph is kind of a bonus shot from my raindrops photos that I put up on the blog back on Sunday.  I've never really been a big fan of insects, but they've been very good to me as models so far this year.  Last week I showed you a large spider, and back in May I showed you some Bees.  Today's featured model is your common house fly.  I guess he was feeling a little bit thirsty and stopped to have a drink on one of the plant leaves I was photographing.  I don't know if it shows clearly at this resolution, but you can clearly see a drop of water next to where I guess his mouth would be.  I get a little strange when I photograph insects.  I end up talking to them, as if my words will serve to reassure the bug that I only intend to take a photograph, and not squish the little guy.  More often than not I guess I end up looking a little silly, but sometimes it seems to work, such with this guy.  He stayed perfectly still long enough for me to snap off a few frames.  When I was done, I thanked him for his time and he quickly flew away.  Yes, that little conversation did actually take place.  Just call me the Fly Whisperer.  Not to be forgotten in the silliness, I also need to mention how much I like the texture of the plant on the right-hand side of the photograph.  The drops of rain add a bit of style to the shot as well.  This photograph was shot at f/4, 1/160sec, ISO 100 at 60mm using a Macro lens.  I also cropped it a little bit in order to better draw your eye to the fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment