Friday 13 May 2022

King Of The Yard

The Dandelion has gotten a bad rap over the years.  Despised by home owners, though adored by little kids who liked to pick them for their Mothers.  I may or may not have done that myself in younger years, though I have been known to pick a few from time to time.  Some with the misfortune of being in my hard have found themselves on the wrong end of a weed-wacker as well, not that I condone such violence.  This year, all of that seems to have changed.  The Dandelion is not only welcomed by all, but cities are actually suggesting that people not mow their law for the month of May in order to let these little guys lay claim to the title of King of the Yard.  Mind you, it's not actually the Dandelion that people want to save, but rather the bees.  They feed of the Dandelions as they are often among the first flowers to bloom in the Spring.  With bee populations in decline, communities have decided to protect the pollinators by launching the Dandelion Challenge.  People are asked not to mow their lawns for the month of May in order for the bees to have as many Dandelions around as possible.  Since I'm more than happy to save the bee's, and look for any excuse possible not to mow the lawn, I am more than happy to participate.  I decided to take a little stroll through the yard and got up close and personal with a couple of them.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/3200sec, ISO 100 at 70mm and the second photograph was taken at f/4, 1/2500sec, ISO 100 at 70mm.  They certainly do look a lot more interesting up close.  It's probably just by chance, but there was a nice big bee buzzing around the yard as I was taking these photographs.  The Heir Apparent was very much impressed with it.  I can't say for sure, but I think I head a 'thank-you' in between all of the buzzing.  You're very welcome Mr. Bumblebee.  Just doing my part to spend more time on the sofa.  Err, I mean just doing my part yo help keep you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment