Monday 23 May 2022

Victoria Bridge Day

No, despite my floating the idea here on The Old Blog last year, there still isn't a real Victoria Bridge Day.  Though it's an idea whose time is due to come.  There's something that keeps calling me back to the structure, oddly enough in the coldest of weather.  It's such a historic site, the piers date back to the 1850's.  While looking in to the history of the bridge a few years back, I actually found photographs taken in 1901 from almost the same spot as this one.  I may be a tad bit over-sensitive, but I still get little goosebumps on my arms when I'm walking around and under the bridge at this location.  Not only for the many living who walked that land, but for the hundreds of dead who were buried there after contacting Typhoid while making the trip from Ireland in the 1840's.  I think that's why I like going there in the Winter.  The ice fog that dances under the bridge looks like ghosts walking on the water.  The photograph was taken at f/16, 1/160sec, ISO 400 at 24mm.  Hope you all had a Happy Victoria Bridge Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment