Friday 25 August 2023

Flower And Flies

It's been a rather musical Summer here at The Old Blog.  In between all of the wailing guitars and pounding drums, there were still some quiet moments.  Despite all of the wet weather, I still found the time for a few outdoor moments.  The rain was very good for our Brown Eyed Susan patch, who had a prime spot next to the driveway.  They are nice enough to look at on their own, but they always had a nice selection of insects visiting them.  Such as this little Hoverfly.  I had previously thought these little insects to be baby Wasps, but decided to do a little Googling on the matter and found that they are nothing really alike.  Unlike the Wasp, who can best be described as a winged jerk, the Hoverfly is not at all aggressive.  They are known as the helicopters of the insect world because there are often seen hovering in place before darting off a short distance and hovering again.  I had been watching him hover between the flowers and me, I guess trying to decide if I was friendly.  He must have sensed that I was, as he finally decided to take a little break on one of the Brown Eyed Susans.  He stretched out a bit and snacked on a little bit of pollen before taking off and leaving on his merry way.  But, not before allowing me to grab a quick photograph, which was taken at f/5.6, 1/125sec, ISO 100 at 70mm with some added flash bounced onto the image.  Insects and flowers always make for nice subjects, and a peaceful few moments of shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment