Thursday 2 July 2020

Canada Day Concert Memories

Since all of 2020's events have been cancelled thus far, I've been taking little trips down memory lane to some of the fun events that I got to photograph last year.  They provide a happy little distraction for me, hopefully they do the same for some of you.  Today, we're going to revisit the Canada Day celebrations that took place in Greenfield Park.  I'd been going the last couple of years, shooting photographs from the crowd.  Since I had been having some success getting passes to shows, I figured I'd try my luck with some city work.  I sent off a request for a pass, and they liked my work enough to give me one.  While it can be fun to shoot from the crowd, being in the pit is much more thrilling.  There were only four photographers at the show, and there was no three song limit so I was free to walk all around the front of the stage.  The other great thing about having a pass, I was able to leave the pit from time to time and shoot some photographs from different points of view.  Something you can't do shooting from the crowd.  If I'm at the front of the stage for the first group, I need to stay there for the rest of the event because otherwise my prime spot will quickly be taken by someone else.  There were three bands performing that day.  Les Jacks opened the festivities, followed by Five Roses.  The headliner for the evening was Christian Marc Gendron and after a fireworks display, the crowd was treated to a dance party by DJ Miss Shelton.  She is also the subject of the first photograph of this update.  It was taken at f/2.8, 1/125sec, ISO 5000 at 70mm.  You can see more of the photographs that I took of her by following this link, and don't forget to visit her website to find out more about her and her music.  The second photograph of Les Jacks was taken at f/2.8, 1/500sec, ISO 400 at 70mm.  You can find more of the photographs that I took of the by following the link.  You can also find out more about them and their music by visiting their website.  The third photograph of Five Roses was taken at f/2.8, 1/250sec, ISO 400 at 70mm.  You can see more of the photographs that I took of their performance by following the link and you can find out more about them and their music by following this link to their website.  One more photograph to go.

f/2.8, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 70mm
Follow this link to see other photographs that I took of the performance
Follow this link to find out more about Christian Marc Gendron and his music

Add the Jazzfest photographs from the last update, and that made back-to-back night of shooting multiple acts on stage.  Needless to say, I came home with an enormous amount of photographs to dig through and edit.  Not quite as much fun as shooting, but all part of the great fun that is shooting shows.  I hope that I can get back to it again some time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment