Tuesday 30 June 2020

Jazzfest Memories

June 30th, 2019 is certainly a date that will remain in my memory for a good many years.  It was the night that I found myself with a photo pass for the very prestigious Festival International de Jazz de Montréal.  It was easily the high point of my photographic year, and this year I had been hoping to grow that one day pass into something larger.  There is a saying about what happens to best-laid plans.  So, since there will be no new photographs this year, let us take a little trip down a musical memory lane with some unseen photographs from last year.  The first performance that I was able to photograph was Sasha Berliner and her vibraphone.  From there, it was a short walk to the Rio Tinto main stage to photograph Laila Biali.  After that, a quick walk down Ste. Catherine street to the MTelus for a set by La Force before ending my day at the Club Soda for an interesting performance by the duo of René Lussier & Robbie Kuster before the day came to an end with Montreal legends Voivod.  It was a hot day, but well worth the sweat as I spent the entire day hearing some great music, and getting some terrific shots.  The first photograph of Sasha Berliner was taken at f/2.8, 1/320sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm.  To see the other shots that I took of her performance, follow this link.  Don't forget to also visit her website for more information about her and her music.  The second photograph of Laila Biali was taken at f/4, 1/400sec, ISO 1600 at 70mm.  To see the other photographs that I took of her performance, feel free to follow the link.  Also, don't forget to visit her website for more information about her and her music.  Here are some shots of the other performances.


f/2.8, 1/320sec, ISO 4000 at 70mm
Follow this link to see the other photographs that I took of the performance
Follow this link to find out more about La Force and her music

f/2.8, 1/80sec, ISO 3200 at 24mm
Follow this link to see the other photographs that I took of the performance
Follow this link to find out more about René Lussier & Robbie Kuster and their music

f/2.8, 1/200sec, ISO 3200 at 24mm
Follow this link to see the other photographs that I took of their performance
Follow this link to find out more about Voivod and their music

What a terrific day it was.  Hopefully we can add a "...to be continued" to this update as I sure hope I'll get the chance to photograph the Jazzfest again in the future.  Though the event has been cancelled for 2020, don't forget to visit the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal website as they have been streaming performances from past editions for those out there in need of a little bit of music during this odd time.

No comments:

Post a Comment