Friday 26 July 2019

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - Australia

The annual Montreal International Fireworks Competition is just about finished.  This was the final competition show and was put on by the Howard And Sons Pyrotechnics company from Australia.  They've been in the fireworks business since 1922 and this was their fourth visit to Montreal. They won a Silver Jupiter in 2008 and a Bronze Jupiter in 2011.  I decided to visit my favourite overpass that crosses Taschereau boulevard in Longueuil to photograph the explosions.  I've been going to this spot for about five years now after having discovered it in a photograph by Bernard Brault that appeared in the La Presse newspaper.  I got there nice and early after photographing the Sam Tucker concert in Greenfield Park (see the photographs my following the link) as my busy summer of photography continued.  What I like best about this site is all of the light streaks created by the passing cars.  It makes the bottom of the frame just as interesting as the fireworks up top.  The only draw back is that all of the photographs need to be vertical as horizontal leaves lots of emptiness in the shots.  That, and the near heart attack caused every time a truck passes underneath the overpass and my head is filled with images of my camera falling to the road below as the floor below me shakes.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 at 70mm.  Here are some more photographs that I took during the show.

f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

f/16, 30sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 at 70mm
f/16, 30sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

The competition may be over but there is still one last show to see.  Head out to see it because there won't be any more until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment